EBD-NA Global Data Privacy Notice
Effective Date: October 14th, 2021
Environment Business Division – North America (“EBD-NA”) is a division of Hitachi America Ltd., (“Hitachi”) that respects and values your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data.
This Policy only applies to this website and does not apply to any other websites maintained or operated by Hitachi or EBD-NA or any third-parties for the collection, use, storage, disclosure, or other processing of your personal data. Please read this Policy carefully because, by accessing this website you agree to comply with it. Also, by submitting personal information to EBD-NA, you indicate that you consent to EBD-NA’s collection (including through this website), processing and use of your personal information as described within the scope of this Policy.
Please contact EBDprivacy@hal.hitachi.com with any questions about this Policy.
EBD-NA Processing of Your Personal Data
EBD-NA may, in the course of business, collect personal information, including personal data regulated by the European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”), which is voluntarily provided by you. The potential uses of your personal information by EBD-NA are outlined in this Policy.
Our policy is not to share personal information with third parties except as provided for in this Policy, to facilitate our internal information processing activities, or to comply with applicable law. We recognize that your personal information is confidential and we take steps intended to protect your personal information while it is in our possession.
Collection of Your Personal Data by EBD-NA
EBD-NA may invite you to provide limited business-related personal information, including but not limited to:
- Identifiers and commercial information such as your name, title, company address, e-mail address, telephone and fax numbers, and whether you are a current client or business partner; and
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (please see “Cookies” below).
- If you are applying for a position with EBD-NA through the website, you may be asked to submit information related to your qualifications for the position, including professional or employment-related information, education information, or geolocation data.
Please note that EBD-NA disclaims any legal duty to verify the accuracy of any personal information that you provide to EBD-NA.
California residents: some of the above-listed information constitutes “Personal Information” as defined in Cal. Civ. Code §1798.80(e) and/or protected classifications under California or US federal law.
Sensitive Personal Information: EBD-NA does not collect, store, or process any sensitive personal information from you for the purposes described in this Policy, including sensitive personal data as regulated by the GDPR. Depending on your location, sensitive personal information may include various types of personal information relating to: race or ethnic origin; political opinions; religious or philosophical beliefs; trade union membership; genetic data; biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person; data concerning health; data concerning a natural person’s sex life; sexual orientation or criminal record. We request that you do not provide sensitive personal information to us.
Use of Your Personal Information by EBD-NA
EBD-NA may have disclosed the above-listed personal information provided by you to third parties for business purposes (please see “Third Parties” below).
Typically, EBD-NA will ask for you to submit personal information for the following purposes:
- website registration and to permit access to restricted areas of our Site;
- customer, supplier, and/or business partner relationship management;
- service and asset management;
- to evaluate and respond to inquiries and applications for employment sent over the Site;
- purchase management;
- marketing of products and services;
- occupational health and safety;
- workplace security and protection of personnel, assets and resources;
- to fulfil administrative and information technology functions, such as making updates to our Site;
- monitoring or demonstrating compliance with applicable legal or regulatory requirements, or internal corporate mandates;
- compliance with legal requirements imposed on any Hitachi entity, or to defend a legal claim.
EBD-NA collects personal information for legitimate business purposes and to comply with EBD-NA ‘s legal obligations. In any instance where non-mandatory information is sought, you will be notified of this at the point of collection.
Who might EBD-NA share my personal data with?
The Hitachi group, to which EBD-NA is part of, operates around the world and to make sure you get a response to your enquiry from the right person we may transfer your enquiry (and your personal data associated with it) to other companies in the Hitachi group.
Please note that the sharing of your personal data between Hitachi group companies may result in your personal data being shared with, or made available to, Hitachi group companies in countries where the local laws may not afford the same level of data protection as your country of residence. However, to safeguard your personal data Hitachi will ensure that its group companies will only act on instructions or directions received from the relevant Hitachi group company and shall adopt at least the same or higher standards of data protection as is described in this Data Privacy Notice and as required by applicable laws.
How will my data be protected?
EBD-NA has put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to only those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
International Transfers of Personal Information
Personal information, including personal information collected in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) collected by EBD-NA may be transferred, stored and processed by member companies of the worldwide Hitachi organization and the Hitachi family of companies, our business partners or third-party service providers who are established in jurisdictions without comprehensive data protection laws. Transfer of information to third parties or to locations outside of your country of residence are managed in accordance with applicable laws, which may include the GDPR.
We take reasonable steps aimed to protect your personal information. These steps include implementing the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses for transfers of personal information from our group companies in the EEA to our other group companies. We have implemented similar appropriate safeguards with our service providers, partners and affiliates. For more information about these safeguards, please contact EBDprivacy@hal.hitachi.com.
By providing your personal information to EBD-NA, you explicitly consent to the transfer of your information outside of your country of residence.
Legally Compelled Disclosure
There may be circumstances under which EBD-NA may be legally compelled to disclose your personal information. These circumstances may include, among others, situations where disclosure is required by law applicable to EBD-NA, or necessary to comply with an order of a court or governmental agency, export control, or necessary for matters of safety and security. In such cases, EBD-NA will make good faith efforts to provide only that information which is the subject of the official order or request.
Your personal information will be retained for as long as necessary to fulfil EBD-NA’s legitimate business purposes, unless a longer retention period is required by applicable law.
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Site according to your individual interests;
- Recognize you when you return to our Site; and
- Provide us with business and marketing information.
If you would like to opt out or edit your Cookie Preferences, please click the button below:
EBD-NA does not and will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to others.
California residents: we are required to notify you if EBD-NA has sold, rented, or leased your personal information in the last twelve months. EBD-NA has not sold, rented or leased your personal information in the last twelve months.
Unless we have specifically informed you, obtained your consent, or are permitted or required to do so by the laws of the jurisdiction we operate in, we will only share the personal information you provide with business partners and third-party service providers who are acting on our behalf, and then only for the uses described in this Policy. To be clear, the personal information EBD-NA discloses to third parties may include any of the categories of personal information listed above (see “Collection Of Your Personal Information By EBD-NA”).
Specifically, we do not disclose your personal information to third parties for the third party’s own direct marketing purposes unless you have provided your affirmative consent for such a disclosure. EBD-NA will take appropriate steps to ensure that these third parties protect the confidentiality and security of your personal information.
Similarly, we ask that you do not provide us with information about third parties without their permission. You represent that, when providing us information about third parties, you have obtained previous, express and informed consent of such parties to process their personal data.
Links to Third Party Websites
There are several places throughout the Site that may link to other websites that do not operate under EBD-NA ‘s privacy practices. EBD-NA does not endorse or make any representations about them, or any information, software or other products or materials found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. When you link to other websites, EBD-NA ‘s privacy practices and this Policy no longer apply and EBD-NA assumes no responsibility for the information or other practices of a website that is accessible through EBD-NA. We encourage you to review other website privacy policies before disclosing any personal information to them.
We have put in place technical and organisational procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect from you and to reduce the risk of loss, unauthorized access, misuse and alteration. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we work very hard to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted over our Site.
Sale of Business Assets
In the unlikely event of a sale of Hitachi, a Hitachi business unit, EBD-NA, or a Hitachi affiliate, personal information held by EBD-NA may be made available to a buyer or prospective buyers in order for them to evaluate any such purchase or to operate any parts of EBD-NA’s business.
Subject to the legal requirements of your jurisdiction of residence for notice and consent, EBD-NA reserves the right to modify or amend this Policy at any time in order to adjust to applicable laws or regulations, or changes in EBD-NA’s practices or procedures. Where conflicts exist between the terms and conditions of this Policy and applicable national data protection laws, the latter will take precedence. This Policy is not intended to, and does not, provide rights beyond those that are prescribed by applicable national laws. The implementation date will be displayed at the bottom of this Policy.
EBD-NA respects your right to make your own choices about how your personal information is handled. Should you choose to subscribe to mailing lists or any registrations, and later decide to unsubscribe you may unsubscribe on our Preference Center. You can also opt out by clicking “unsubscribe” in any marketing email communications we send you, or you may contact EBD-NA at EBDprivacy@hal.hitachi.com.
In addition, access to certain applications or services may involve particular uses, disclosure or transfer of the personal information being collected during registration for that application or service. If required under the laws of your country of residence, you will be notified of such intended uses, transfer or disclosure and asked to provide your consent. Failure to provide your consent where so requested may mean you will not be provided access to the applications or services for which your personal information cannot be lawfully processed.
Privacy of Minors and Children
Our Site, our products, and services are not directed to minors, including individuals under the age of thirteen. Please let us know if a minor or person under the age of thirteen has provided EBD-NA with personal information by contacting EBDprivacy@hal.hitachi.com. In the event that we become aware that a minor has provided us with personal information, we will implement the necessary technical and organizational measure to erase said information.
EBD-NA strives to ensure the accuracy of your personal information, as provided to EBD-NA. We will also provide you with notifications as required by applicable law.
If you are a resident of the EEA or as permitted by the laws of your jurisdiction, you may also:
- Request access to or a copy of your personal information.
- Request a disclosure of the categories of personal information collected by EBD-NA.
- Request a disclosure of the categories of sources from which personal information is collected by EBD-NA.
- Request a description of the purpose for EBD-NA’s collection of personal information.
- Request a disclosure of the categories of third parties with whom EBD-NA shares personal information.
- Request a disclosure of the personal information that EBD-NA discloses for a business purpose.
- Request to correct, update or rectify your personal information.
- Request that EBD-NA deletes or blocks your personal data. Please note that EBD-NA is unable to delete information that we deem necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or as otherwise excepted under applicable law.
- Object to or seek a restriction on the processing of your personal data.
- Refuse to consent or revoke your consent to processing. Revoking your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- Raise a concern to us about our collection and use of your personal information at any of the contact points listed below (see “Contact for Privacy Requests or Concerns”) or the applicable data protection authority.
- EBD-NA will respond to your requests pursuant to applicable law and in accordance with EBD-NA’s Data Subject Rights Policy.
CONTACT FOR PRIVACY REQUESTS
Requests to exercise your privacy rights can be directed via email to EBDprivacy@hal.hitachi.com; or alternatively to the following depending on your place of residence.